Right at a year ago now, I installed a screen door to the back porch. It wasn't perfect, however I was happy with how it looked and functioned. As time went on, it started looking sadder... and sadder....... and sadder. Finally, it was sagging to such a degree that there was basically no point in having it at all because the gap was so large bugs could just fly straight inside with plenty of room to spare. Plus, the spray paint sealant didn't seem to do much (can't say I'm too surprised) and it slowly started greying and deteriorating.
I decided it was time to take it down (which of course took 30 seconds, as compared to hours of work to get it hung) and ordered this hanging screen to take its place. It's basically a piece of mesh with a slit down the middle and a magnet to keep it closed when you're not using it. It hangs from a tension rod and does a great job filling the space. It came with some velcro pieces that you can stick to the door frame, however for now it's just hanging and doesn't seem to need the extra anchoring.
It took some trial and error to get here and I'm really happy with the new solution! The screen door looked cute when it was freshly hung, however it never fit perfectly because the door frame isn't square, whereas the hanging mesh fills the space with a lot of flexibility.
We're supposed to have a rainy week in Austin and John and I have already enjoyed a day of having the door open and listening to this weather!