Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Some Sweet Signage

A few months ago John and I went to Star Hill Ranch (our wedding venue) to crash see a wedding in progress. I wanted to visualize what the space would look like with people and decorations, and Pok-e-Jo's (the family BBQ place) was catering, so we dropped by :) I snapped a picture of a really cute display they had for their family pictures.


The piano is always at the ranch, so seeing it totally inspired me to do something similar since we'll have access to it too. The first step was to make the banner. I searched around on the internet to get some inspiration, and eventually found this guy on Etsy.


What I liked was the fact that the letters weren't on triangular pieces of fabric. I picked up half a yard of burlap for $2 at Hobby Lobby (and it turns out I really only needed about a quarter of a yard). First was  to make a paper template of the shape I wanted. It took me a few tries to get the right size and shape, but this is what I ended up with.


Next was to cut out 6 pieces of burlap (one each for the F, A, M, I, L, Y), and to print out letters. I decided to do all caps in RiotSquad font (my fave). 


I set the letter under the burlap.


Then I got to tracing with my Sharpie.


Then I filled it in!


Six letters later...


Next I cut a piece of jute with plenty of extra at the ends to hang it from and hot glued my letter flags on.


Bada bing, bada boom!


I think it looks pretty snazzy. We'll hang it at the wedding above the piano (I think it's too big to be hung on the piano the way they did it at the wedding we saw) and have family pictures in frames. We're also writing little biographies about each of our grandparents and what made them such interesting and special people :) I hope that if you can make it to the wedding you'll take a minute to read about them... we're lucky to come from these 8 really fantastic people.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the font you used but my computer doesn't have it. How did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get my fonts from dafont.com. They're free to download and there are thousands to choose from! Here are some of my other favorites: http://thishouseisourhome.blogspot.com/2013/09/fontaholic.html?

      Delete