Saturday, January 12, 2013

Neutralizing the Candy Corn

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days... life got super crazy super fast and I haven't had the time or energy to go through all the pictures I've taken! We've done a couple of big projects that I'll post soon... here's a little one to tide you over!

The pendant light over the sink has been bothering me more and more lately... I didn't love it initially, but it wasn't really on my radar as something that needed to change.


Then I started seeing a floating piece of candy corn...


Can you see it?


Ever since I made that connection I just couldn't get it out of my head. It had to go. Usually I'd try and DIY it, but unfortunately there's not much that can be done. To change the color I'd really need to paint it somehow, and doing that would most likely make it opaque, thus not letting light through. A light-less light fixture seems a bit pointless. So, I decided to replace it. 

I took off the old shade (is that what you call it?) and was left with this.


I got a new, plain but pretty white one. I know it seems boring and neutral, but the walls are going to be yellow, so neutral was the way to go.


I figured I'd just use the old ring that screws onto the fixture's body to put the new shade on... but it didn't fit the new shade.


So, I went to Home Depot to see if they sold bigger rings, and the nice man working there gave me a free one out of his "junk drawer." Point for Home Depot. They're absolutely demolishing Lowe's.


To my dismay, the new ring was the right size for the new shade, but wouldn't go on the body of the fixture. So, I went back to Home Depot to see if the ring was defective. It wasn't. That left me with one option: replace the fixture. They had a stainless one, but the cord running down to the shade was clear plastic which let you see through to the three wires inside that are coated in white, black, and green plastic. Who's idea was that?! I decided to get a black one even though I was a little nervous it would clash with the stainless appliances and the stainless track lighting in the kitchen. Once I got home though, I realized that the fixture in the dining room is black so it ties in just fine!

The next issue was that the fixture came with 4 feet of wire, which had it just about resting on the counter. Seriously, nothing is ever as easy as it seems. So, I had to strip the wire, which I had never done before.


First I cut it to the length I wanted.


Then I took my exacto knife and cut through the outer layer of insulation while being careful not to cut into the inside wires. Then I pulled off the outer piece.


I cut through the insulation of each of the wires and pulled them off! It was actually really easy. Whew.


I took down the old bracket.


Replaced it with the new one, then capped the wires. 


And screwed it in!


The shade pulls it taut so it's not all wonky and crooked. Now that it's been hanging for a few days it's nice a straight :)


Sadly, the light switch to the pendant is actually switchless because of some of the work we're doing in the kitchen, which means I can't turn it on to make sure it's working or to see its beauty. Just a few more days and I'm sure we'll get to turn it on :)

Seriously y'all, we've made huge progress on the condo!! I'm so excited to share it soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment