Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Inch by Inch

Our wonderful, kind, and very very patient realtor, Allison Dady, took me by the condo to measure! I told her to bring a book so she wouldn't get too bored but she actually ended up helping me out. It took about 45 minutes to do 1,400 square feet and I couldn't be happier I did it. Afterwards, I spent a few hours putting all of the measurements into floorplanner.com. That may sound like a long time, but I enjoyed every minute. Getting started was kind of overwhelming because I didn't know where to begin, but I ended up picking a corner and going clockwise around the house. Floor Planner is an awesome site. It's free and you can build your house, add furniture, wall colors, flooring, etc.

Here's our first floor...
It's kind of hard to tell, but the entry way is sort of it's own floor. When you come in the front door, you can either go up a full flight of stairs to the second story, or go down three steps to the first floor. 

And the second floor...

The wall between the media room and the stairs (where all of that empty space is) is only a half wall, which makes that upstairs room a nice open loft. It lets lots of light in, plus I think it's kind of fun to be able to say we have a loft in our house, haha.  

The colors shown on the floors are actually the colors I'm considering putting on the walls. I want to have the walls be mainly neutral and have furniture and accessories be pops of color, but all of this grey is looking pretty drab. I'll tweak things until it looks warmer, but this is where I am for now. 

Most of the furniture is just random furniture from Floor Planner that's randomly placed that we don't actually own. We don't have much, so we'll have to buy almost all of it. So far I think we have...
A bed for the guest room
3 TVs
Dining room table and chairs
A couch for the media room that needs to be recovered
One of the desks for the office
A dresser for the master bedroom

We're registered for maybe 5 pieces of relatively inexpensive furniture/rugs, but I didn't want to register for anything expensive like a couch because I can't imagine anyone can afford to buy us one! On the other hand, we may add more expensive pieces to the registry as we get closer to the wedding because Crate and Barrel has a completion discount where we'll get 10% off everything that wasn't purchased for us if we buy it ourselves.  

It's awesome to be able to place furniture and see how much space will be left in the room. All of the furniture pieces Floor Planner has can be customized for size. So, that blue couch is the actual length and width of the couch one of our neighbors gave us, and the dining room table is the actual size of the one we got from John's sister-in-law's mother. 

Do yall have any advice on wall colors? Or general other first home tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment