Thursday, March 14, 2013

Hanger Up

I saw tons of cute wedding day hangers on Pinterest and planned on buying one from Etsy for the big day. After I thought about it for a while, I realized I could probably just make one myself. I searched around on Etsy for some inspiration, and it helped me see what I should do...


And maybe what I should try and avoid. This one has some crazy weird "m"s and an "n" that I wanted to avoid replicating. Getting too loopy makes the wording kind of illegible, so I wanted to keep my letters nice and crisp.


I got some thick gauge wire from Michaels and a wooden hanger from Target.


Some tutorials I saw said to write it out what you're spelling on a piece of paper and try to bend the wire according to that to help keep the size consistent, but I just decided to free hand it because I thought it would be easier. Here goes the beginning of my my M....


Mrs. B...

Mrs. Bohne <3


It wasn't so bad! The hardest part was figuring out my stroke order (for lack of a better word) so that I didn't get stuck with the wire being in one spot and needing to go in a completely different direction for the next letter. For instance, when I'm writing Bohne on a piece of paper and I'm finished writing the "B" and I'm going to the "o," I don't normally write the "o" counter clockwise from the bottom, but that's what was easiest for the wire to do.

Next up I drilled two holes that were the size of my wire on each underside of the hanger.


I had lots of excess wire on each side of my writing, so I centered my writing, bent the wire upwards where the holes were, and cut off all of the excess except about half an inch.


I tried putting some hot glue down in the hole so I could then push my wire in, but some how it managed to dry before I could do it. So, I ended up having to put an enormous glob all around and on top of the hole, and then push my wire in.


Once it was dry, I peeled off the excess, and my wire was nice and secure.


Lastly, I tied on some teal and sheer white ribbon to add some color!


This was a pretty quick and easy project and I'm super excited to use it for my wedding dress in just SIXTEEN days!

2 comments:

  1. It turned out SO well! I'm impressed. That looks really hard!

    ReplyDelete