Tuesday, August 20, 2013

2,557 Days

Today marks the seventh year that John and I have been together, and I'm feeling a little sappy :)

A picture from every year we've been together

I feel so incredibly grateful to have such a thoughtful, funny, sweet, optimistic, loving guy to come home to every night. We've been through some tough times together and they've only ever brought us closer, mainly because John was there every step of the way cheering us on.

It's around this time of year that I feel a little extra thankful that I have so many wonderful people in my life. Three years ago, my mom battled breast cancer, and I'm incredibly lucky to have her here with me today, as healthy as can be. It was during these late summer, early fall months of 2010 that we finally felt like everything was going to be ok with her health. Thanksgiving had extra meaning that year, and has every year since.

Helping my mom through chemo and surgery was the most terrifying and humbling experience of my life, and reminded me to not take things for granted. Of course, I forget on a daily basis how fortunate I am and find myself complaining about things I shouldn't be, but her cancer strengthened our relationship and helped me realize how very very lucky I am. I have a wonderful family, and now that I've married John I have his wonderful family as well. I'm surrounded by supportive and encouraging people who want me to succeed and to be happy. I have a comfortable home. I have a job I love that brings new challenges and exciting opportunities every single day.

Something John has always expressed a worry about is that I've spent a lot of my life looking forward to the future, rather than living in the moment. I spent the end of high school ready to be in college, spent college ready to graduate, and spent being engaged ready to be married. Finally, I feel like I'm living in the moment, and I wake up just looking forward to the rest of my day.

I love my friends, my family, my career, my home, and most of all, my husband, and this is exactly where I want to be.

Thanks for being my best friend, John Bohne.

No comments:

Post a Comment