Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Slow Cookin' Some Chicken

We spent a few days celebrating one of our friends’ 24th birthday this past weekend. Friday night we grilled out, and Saturday the girls and guys split off and did their own things. The guys went out tubing while we stayed home and had a spa day, complete with masseuses, nail-painting, wine glass etching (much like my kitchen canister etching), and TV watching. It was a relaxing and fun and just what I needed!

The group had dinner at NoRTH and then headed to the Midnight Cowboy and stopped by other bars before heading home.


P.S. I chopped all my hair off! So far, so good. 


We spent Sunday recuperating, and as you may have seen on Instagram, cooking. 


I've made a chicken and rice dish for many years that I love, but ever since we switched to an induction stove I've had a hard time getting the rice to turn out the way I want it. So, I decided to switch up the recipe all together and try something new.

Ingredients:
3 chicken breasts
1/2 cup vinaigrette (I used La Martinique French Vinaigrette)
1 cup rice
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp seasoned salt
1 tsp turmeric
5 saffron sprigs
1 can diced tomatoes


Directions:
Marinate the chicken in the vinaigrette for 10 minutes.
In a dutch oven, with the stove on high, brown the chicken on each side. Set aside.


Chop the onion and mince the garlic (I used my microplane to get it to a pasty consistency).


Rinse the rice. With the stove on low, combine the rice, chicken broth, seasoned salt, saffron, turmeric, garlic, and can of tomatoes into the dutch oven. Place the chicken on top, then the onions.


Put the lid on and allow to cook for an hour (I cooked it for longer than an hour and wished I had done less so the chicken would have been a little more moist and the rice would have cooked less).

Give it a stir and serve it up or store it in the fridge!



Yum! I didn't eat that whole piece of chicken... that would have been a lot. The dish came out well and John has had it for dinner every night since! He would eat just about anything, so I guess that's not a huge testament, but I'll take it.


What are yall's favorite recipes? The same friend who turned 24 cooked us a really yummy chicken enchilada dinner a few weeks ago that I really want to try myself. I was surprised to hear that the recipe actually came from HEB... but it was SO good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment