Thursday, July 17, 2014

The Future

Ahhh, the future. That's pretty grand and vague. Are you ready for a text-heavy post?

Do you remember back in August when John and I celebrated 7 years of being together? In my post, I said that I was finally really happy where I was, and for once in my life, I wasn't looking forward to the next big thing. Rather, I was able to live in and appreciate those awesome moments. I'm happy to say that nearly a year later, I still feel the same way. So, while I'm looking forward to the future in a general sense, I don't find myself actively hoping it will come sooner rather than later. We're in such a fantastic chapter of our lives together and I just want to savor every moment!

With that said... the future. Let's talk about that. Currently, John and I live in a 1,400 sqft condo, which is more room than we actually need. Not by much, but we rarely ever use the guest room (guest count: 1 in the past 16 months), and we don't spend much time in the loft, either. Some day though, in the very (very, very, very) distant future, there will be more than just us + Olive. When the time comes for us to get a larger place, we plan to do a sort of property swap with my dad.

Between our condo, my childhood home, our investment property, and my dad's girlfriend's condo, we are lucky to have a lot of flexibility when it comes to a property shuffle. Our current line of thinking is for me and John to move into my childhood home, which is almost 2,200 sqft, for my dad and his girlfriend to move into one of the other three properties, and for us to rent out the remaining two. 

I haven't posted in a while, and that's because 1. I've been super busy with work (woo hoo!) and 2. there's just not much going on around here because I've more or less done everything I'd like to do to the condo. We're slowly replacing the three toilets (one down, two to go), so I should have a post about that eventually... aren't you excited?! ;)

Luckily, there are some things happening over at my childhood home that I can post about! Let's have an introduction, shall we? Like I said, the house is about 2,200 sqft. It sits on a corner lot and has 4 beds, 2.5 baths, a formal dining room, and a second living room. In my next post, I'll share some pictures, but for now, here's the floor plan.


The home is rather outdated. The kitchen was redone in the middle of 2005 (with questionable finishes), and we had the windows replaced at the end of 2010. Other than that, everything is pretty much original to when my parents bought the house in 1987... carpet and wallpaper included. I must say, the carpet is looking pretty good for being nearly 30 years old, which I'd chalk up to the fact that no shoe has ever walked on it. As clean as it may be considering its age, its still in need of replacement, which I hope to do in the next year or so.

The only other thing that's been done is painting, both interior and exterior. Let's just say that our condo is very lucky that my childhood home took the brunt of my novice paint selections and techniques. There were some big oops moments that I'm totally mortified to share with you... but I will. Not today, but soon. 

If you remember, I may have gone a little overboard during the paint selection process for the condo, when I got test pots of nearly 15 cans of paint and painted test patches on every single wall of every single room to see how they'd look in all possible scenarios (morning, noon, night, lights on, lights, off, etc.). The reason I did that is because I truly made some seriously horrendous mistakes in my dad's house by not putting actual paint on the walls and instead merely holding up a paint chip in one kind of light. You won't even believe me if I tell you, so you'll just have to wait and see.

Next time, I'll share some pictures of the actual house, and hopefully I can find some of its original glamour so you can see where it started. Soon, there will be big changes in my dad's back yard that I'll be excited to show you! Plus, we're doing a mini kitchen remodel in our investment property, so I'll share that when the time comes as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment