Thursday, September 26, 2013

Fontaholic

My name is Claire, and I'm a fontaholic.

I love fonts. I just can't get enough. I used them on the DIY projects I did for our wedding (like here, here, here,  and here), and on lots of other projects for the house (like here, here, here, and here).

I've mentioned before where I get my fonts from, which is primarily dafont.com. They have oodles and oodles of amazing free fonts. And by oodles and oodles, I mean 21,719. The hardest part of finding fonts is just that--finding them. Sifting through 21,630 is no small task, and I'm embarrassed to say that I have, indeed, personally viewed more than I would like to admit. 

To save you from spending hours in front of your computer screen staring at words to the point of no longer understanding how to read (really--that's what happens), here are some of my favorites:


























Those are only about 1/4 of all of the fonts I have. I realized after I started downloading them, it gets hard to keep track of them all. What I do to remember which ones I have is to take a screen shot of the name of the font written in the font itself (like you see above), and put that image in an Evernote note called "Fonts." If you don't know about Evernote... you should. 

I organize my fonts into categories that seem fitting. As you may have noticed with the font list above, my font categories go in this order: block, cursive, hollow, regular, Western. Those are just the titles I think of when I think about my font categories, and the only reason I have a "Western" category is because I used them to make our wedding rehearsal dinner invitation, which I just realized I never blogged about.


Anyway, categorizing and having an actual picture of them is helpful when I'm trying to find one, rather than typing something and then changing it to every single font to remember what they all look like. So, here's what a portion of my Fonts note looks like, at the spot where block ends and cursive begins:


Pinterest is a great way to find a list of awesome fonts, but I've found that when you search for "free fonts" as I so often do, the results include a lot of fonts that aren't actually free. Boo. My advice is to go to dafont.com, click "New fonts," and set the number per page at 50. Oh, and then kiss the rest of your night goodbye, of course. Also, pay attention to who makes the fonts you like the most. I realized that KG makes tons that I love, so by searching for KG it's easy to find more.

So, where do you get free fonts? What are your favorites? Please tell.

2 comments:

  1. hello! So I'm sort of new to the fonts thing and I have a regular PC not a Mac, do you know I'm supposed to do after I download it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Breann!

      I used to be on a PC so I do know it's possible... Check out the website below.
      When I did it, I was using Safari, so I would go to dafont.com and click download for the PC version, then I would open the download folder and double click the folder that had the font I wanted to install. I think you just go through a couple of little steps to get it installed, but it used to work for me!

      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Install-or-uninstall-fonts

      Delete