Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Party Prep

This past weekend we invited our entire condo complex over for some Pok-e-Jo's BBQ. We've lived here a little over 6 months now and wanted to do something to help us meet our neighbors. In the next few weeks, I'll post a little more about the party itself, but this week, I want to show you 3 things we did to get ready to have everyone over. This party was the perfect thing to kick me into having to tackle many projects that I've put off for way too long.

The first one was to hang some metal letters I got from Target many (many) months ago. They were a maroonish-brown, not my fave, but I thought they would be a good addition in the kitchen above the door to the laundry room.


Since I didn't love the color, the first step was to spray paint them. Luckily I already had a can of the color I wanted sitting in the garage. Back when I made our wedding menu, I bought a can of teal thinking I would use it to spray the border. In the end, it was too bright and felt kind of juvenile, so I stuck it on my workbench shelf waiting for the right project to come along.


I was under a little bit of a time crunch (I sprayed these the day before the party) and I get a little impatient when it comes to spraypainting anyway, so I sprayed the backs first knowing that if I flipped them over to spray the front before they were completely dry, it wouldn't matter if there were imperfections since that side would be against the wall anyway.


After one decently-thick coat on the back (which is not a method I generally recommend... since it can lead to disasters drips and bubbles), I waited about 10 minutes and then flipped them over and did the front. Later that night, I put in a few finishing nails and hung them up!



I think they fill the area nicely, and their hollowness keeps them from being too in-yo-face. They look a little odd in the picture because you see each line twice, which is because they're 3D. You'll just have to come over and see them in person. John jokes that he wants me to put nails to the left of the "T," so that at the end of our meal we can move the "E" over and have it say "ATE." Isn't he clever?

With some leftover wedding gift card money, we got two pieces of art from Crate & Barrel. The first piece was meant to bring in lots of color and a little bit of warmth to the loft which is feeling mighty cool these days (other than the randomly placed yellow lamp, which I'm looking to replace). See how bare and sad the couch area looks?


Well not anymore! We hung up the watercolor print and I think it adds a lot of life and interest to that side, plus some reds, oranges, and yellows which keep it from feeling so chilly.


Once I find a new lamp I think the loft will be pretty well rounded out. 


I bought the second piece of art with the intention of hanging it over the guest bed, but once I got it home I realized that that plan wasn't going to work. Since the bed sits a whopping 3 feet off the ground, plus another 2 feet of headboard, that leaves only about 3.5 feet of wall. Putting any decent-sized piece of art up there is going to make it look like I'm trying squeeze way too much in.


Plan B actually worked out quite well. The wall opposite our bed in the master bedroom has been waiting for the right art to come along, and it turns out this was it!


We hung it up in no time flat, and I think it helps break up all of the grey perfectly.


The painting is called "Gator," and you can definitely see why, but it's just abstract enough to still be nice and friendly looking.



So, what do you think? These projects have been on my to do list for the past couple of months, so I'm thankful I got the kick in the pants I needed to finally tackle them! And, of course, they weren't as time-consuming as I thought they would be. That's one lesson I just keep learning and re-learning... things are never as hard as you think they'll be. But conversely, many times the simple ones end up being a headache. 

Next up will be some exciting developments in our entryway, which was by far the most empty and barren part of the house... Until now! Stay tuned :)

No comments:

Post a Comment